In the highly competitive world of financial services, you need the knowledge and skills that will make you indispensable to your financial organization. We take training seriously and recognize the importance of staying current in today's market. Earning and maintaining a professional certification is not only an excellent way to obtain proficiency, it's also a visible reminder of your dedication to your career. We provide the training that professionals require to achieve their goals.
Earn a Professional IRA Designation
Attaining the Certified IRA Specialist (CIS) and Certified IRA Professional (CIP) designations will not only help fulfill your career, but give your credit union's IRA owners the peace of mind that comes from working with a professional IRA representative.
Ascensus offers the opportunity for participants in the IRA Supertrain® Compliance Workshops to earn the professional designation of CIS. Certification is earned in one of three different learning tracks.
- CIS Associate - This level of certification demonstrates proficiency in completing basic IRA transactions. Topics include opening IRAs, contribution rules, distribution rules, withholding, and basic IRA reporting.
- CIS Expert - This level of certification demonstrates expertise in a variety of advanced IRA transactions, including excess contributions, recharacterizations, rollovers and transfers, required minimum distributions, conversions, death claim processes, and withholding.
- CIS Leadership - This level of certification demonstrates expertise in a broad range of IRA transactions and competence in leading an IRA program. Topics include credit union liabilities, staff development, required minimum distributions, death benefits, and withholding.
For additional information regarding examination fee and continuing education requirements, download the "How Do I Become a CIS" located on the right-hand side of this screen.
Ascensus and the National Association of Federal Credit Unions (NAFCU) developed this nationally recognized designation exclusively for experienced credit union professionals who have IRA compliance or operations responsibilities. Topics include IRA documentation and maintenance requirements, IRA eligibility and contribution rules, retirement plan portability, IRA distribution requirements, IRA fees and investments, SEP and SIMPLE IRA plans, and retirement planning.
For additional information regarding eligibility, examination fee, and continuing education requirements, download the "How Do I Become a CIP" located on the right-hand side of this screen.
Continuing Education Credits
Ascensus is an approved provider of continuing professional education with the following programs and certification sponsors. Please contact Ascensus at 800-346-3860 if you are interested in continuing education credits and to confirm the number of credits you receive per class per designation.
- Certified IRA Professional (CIP)
- Certified IRA Specialist (CIS)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- NAFCU Certified Compliance Officer (NCCO)
- Personal Financial Specialist (PFS)
Ascensus courses meet the continuing education standards and are appropriate for the following designations.
- Certified Retirement Counselor (CRC)
- Chartered Retirement Planning Counselor (CRPC)
- Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist (CRPS)